Tuesday, December 30, 2008

One For All and All For One

Forget Michael Phelps and his eight gold's in this year's Olympics. Forget about all the other "firsts" this year like the first Black President of the United States or first woman to run for a Republican V.P. slot. Instead, think of a previously near untoppable "first" that has been achieved this year by an Eagle Scout for his New York area Scouts. Scout Shawn Goldsmith became one of few Boy Scouts in the 100-year history of that organization to garner all 121 merit badges.

Thinking back to my old Boy Scout days, I think (if had put my mind to it) I could have broken that record if the "Scouts" had only let me stay active until, say, age 45. But, that is all water under the bridge. Anyway, this college freshman did it within the 18-year old age limit (See Associate Press Story).

Visit his Scout Council's Website and see their story about Shawn: (See Full Story)

1 comment:

Leslie said...

I think what Shawn has achieved is highly commendable! Merit-worthy? NO QUESTION! Way to go, Shawn.