You see, back in the 1970's, there was no global warming to worry about. In fact many scientists and climatologists believed that we were headed into an ice age. Then, there was the depletion of the ozone layer which would cause the sun's intense rays to fry us all to a crisp. Reflective aluminum garb was predicted to be the all the rage. With all the plant life fried there would be no food to eat. All the animals would be dead from intense U.V. ray exposure. So, why would we even need aluminum suits?
Then, there were all the failed specific scientific predictions. As itemized by Mark J. Perry at the American Enterprise Institute, here as some the "real beauts" that made up that first doomed list for the first Earth Day in 1970:
- "Harvard biologist George Wald estimated that 'civilization will end within 15 or 30 years unless immediate action is taken against problems facing mankind.'”
- "Paul Ehrlich predicted that "between 1980 and 1989, some 4 billion people, including 65 million Americans, would perish in the 'Great Die-Off.'” To put this prediction in context, the world population in 1980 was 4.5 billion.
- "Ecologist Kenneth Watt told Time that, 'At the present rate of nitrogen buildup, it’s only a matter of time before light will be filtered out of the atmosphere and none of our land will be usable.'”
- "Ecologist Kenneth Watt declared, 'By the year 2000, if present trends continue, we will be using up crude oil at such a rate…that there won’t be any more crude oil. You’ll drive up to the pump and say, `Fill ‘er up, buddy,’ and he’ll say, `I am very sorry, there isn’t any.''”
- "Sen. Gaylord Nelson wrote in Look [magazine] that, 'Dr. S. Dillon Ripley, secretary of the Smithsonian Institute, believes that in 25 years, somewhere between 75 and 80 percent of all species of living animals will be extinct.'”
April 22, 2017: Happy Earth Day. Enjoy It While You Last: https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2017-04-21/happy-earth-day-enjoy-it-while-you-last
In the 1970’s, this research led to some interesting observations about the ozone layer and ozone hole of the Earth: http://www.conserve-energy-future.com/causes-and-effects-of-ozone-hole.php
The 1970s Ice Age Myth and Time Magazine Covers – by David Kirtley: http://scienceblogs.com/gregladen/2013/06/04/the-1970s-ice-age-myth-and-time-magazine-covers-by-david-kirtley/
18 spectacularly wrong apocalyptic predictions made around the time of the first Earth Day in 1970, expect more this year: https://www.aei.org/publication/18-spectacularly-wrong-apocalyptic-predictions-made-around-the-time-of-the-first-earth-day-in-1970-expect-more-this-year-2/